If you often find yourself making errors in reloading, your main problem might be the caliper you are using. To get precise readings for reloading, you need a caliper with a low rate for making errors. Digital calipers can be a great investment if you want to avoid errors.
With the best digital caliper for reloading at your hand, you will find yourself making fewer mistakes. This will therefore help you achieve a better shooting experience.
Luckily, finding the right caliper for this task is not that hard. With a little help from our detailed review guide, you can also get yourself a simple measuring tool that is simple to use, take error-free readings, and can help you improve your overall shooting skills.
Top 5 Best Digital Calipers for Reloading
To get the most precise measurements, you need a caliper that can give you error-free reading. Here are a few popular options that we have picked out for you for showing accurate measurements.
Adoric Digital Caliper
When buying a tool for taking measurements, it’s better to go for products that give you a variety of units to measure in. It saves you the time wasted in converting the units.
Adoric Digital Caliper can be used to take measurements in both inches and millimeters. You can shift between the units with just a click of a button.
The large LED screen display shows you the measurement clearly. With this screen, there is no room for human error.
- Precise measurement: Measurement range: 0 - 6''/ 0 - 150mm; Resolution: 0.01”/ 0.1mm; Accuracy: ±0.2mm/0.01”. Perfect and accurate caliper measuring tool for household/DIY measurement. Please choose stainless steel digital caliper for more accurate measuring
- 4 measuring modes: This digital caliper can be used to Measure inside and outside diameter, depth and step with two sets of jaws and a probe. Powered by battery, comes with a pre-installed battery and a spare battery
- Inch/mm conversion: One button quick switch between two units: inch and millimeter, definitely save your time. Made of rugged plastic carbon fiber composites, durable and portable
When it comes to accuracy, the product has a ±0.01″/0.2mm range. Trust the device to take measurements of even tiny things, like jewelry, with preciseness. You can use the equipment on any object measuring from 0-6 inches.
Resetting the product is also made easy with a one-click system. If you’re someone who needs to measure a lot of things in a short period, you might find this tool quite beneficial.
An added feature that makes us love the model, even more, is that it is waterproof!
After five minutes of the device going on unused, it will automatically shut itself down. This helps with the battery life of the unit.
- Comes with a spare battery
- Shuts off automatically after 5 minutes of inactivity
- Waterproof design
- Can measure anything from 0-6 inches
- Capability to measure both in inches and millimeters
- Does not have a durable construction
A great caliper to invest in if you want accurate results. The large LCD screen helps to see the results clearly so that all kinds of errors can be avoided. Also perfect for mechanics.
NEIKO 01407A Electronic Digital Caliper
Calipers should also have a durable construction. No matter how affordable the tool might be, buying it on and on again can be frustrating. Keeping durability in mind, the Neiko 01407A has been made with steel construction.
Not just any kind of steel; polished steel! You won’t have to replace this tool for a long while.
The knurled thumb roller allows you to position and holds the caliper in place easily. A locking screw helps to get a tighter grip on the object.
Another word we would use to describe the tool besides durable is versatile.
- [MULTI-FUNCTION]: This measuring tool has a quick-change button that changes between three measuring modes: inch, fraction, and millimeter to make conversion a snap during measurement.
- [PRECISION]: The electronic measurement range is 0” - 6” and 0 mm – 150 mm with a resolution of 0.0005” / 1/128” / 0.01 mm and an accuracy of 0.001” / 0.02 mm for precise readings in all your measurement needs.
- [QUALITY]: The body of the digital caliper is constructed using finely polished stainless steel with a knurled thumb roller and locking screw that ensures smooth sliding and accurate positioning when taking measurements.
You can use this one product to measure an object’s outside, inside, step, and depth. The product can also be probed to work as a Vernier caliper.
When it comes to measuring modes, the tool offers you three options; inches, millimeters, and fractions. All the functions can be changed and used by clicking just one button.
The extra-large LCD screen shows the measurement in an easy-to-read and clear font — no need to squint your eyes to get readings off of this tool.
- Polished steel construction
- Thumb roller added for smoother positioning
- Locking screw gives the tool a better grip
- Can be probed to use as a Vernier caliper
- Able to give measurements in a fraction
- Automatic on and off feature is a bit unreliable
If you’re looking for a caliper that will last you a long time, this is it. The product is sturdy and can give measurements infractions as well.
Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Advanced Onsite Sensor (AOS) Absolute Scale Digital Caliper
The Mitutoyo advanced scale has an AOS system. What this system does is keep your device free of oil, dirt, and water. This resistance calls for a much better and accurate reading.
When taking measurements, if the caliper is dirty, the tool can sometimes show the wrong results. If your measurement needs to be precise, this can cause a lot of trouble.
Like most of the high-quality calipers in the market, this one can also be used on any object ranging from 0-6 inches. When giving readings there, I’d only a 0.01mm increment.
- Measures 0 to 6" (0 to 150mm) in 0.0005" (0.01mm) increments for precision use
- Digital readout LCD shows inch or metric units for versatility when measuring
- Advanced onsite sensor (AOS) electromagnetic inductive sensor for resistance to dirt, oil, and water
The LCD readout screen is large and clear enough to take readings off of.
This readout feature can help you save a lot of time when taking multiple measurements.
With your purchase, you get a brand new SR44 silver oxide battery-free. A protective case is also added to help you store the tool properly.
- AOS system gives dust, oil, and water resistance
- Readout feature included
- Only 0.01mm increment in readings
- Comes with a brand new SR44 silver oxide battery
- Protective case included with purchase
- Might get hot when used if the battery is not changed in time
Having a readout feature helps you take readings of multiple units very quickly. Getting an SR44 silver oxide battery and protective case free with the purchase also makes the tool a fun buy.
Hornady Digital Caliper
Worried about your caliper not giving you the right results? With the Hornady
Digital Caliper, you can trust the readings to be as precise as it gets. This tool is even used to measure bullet lengths. It can surely measure jewelry, gems, or any other small objects easily.
Outside and inside diameters can be measured alongside primer pocket depth and cartridge length. The manufacturers have made this tool specifically for reloading. Therefore, all the features of the model have been made to make measuring cases and cartridges easier.
- Take Precise Measurements - having precision reloading tools and accessories such as the Hornady Digital Caliper measuring tool 050080 is ideal for accurately measuring case and bullet length, inside and outside diameters, primer pocket depth, overall cartridge length, and more
- Large, Easy to Read LCD Screen - this digital caliper is quick to setup, easy to use, and extremely accurate to 0.001 inch. This digital measurement tool has a automatic shutoff, is easy to zero and change between inches or millimeters. The measuring ruler reads up to 6 inches/160 millimeters
- Great Caliper Tool for Reloaders - Hornady digital calipers will ensure you have a properly measured case and cartridge for your next range day. The convenient storage case is perfect for storing the unit when not in use or for travel to take with you. Includes 1.55 Volt Silver Oxide Battery
The product has been carefully made with stainless steel construction. Quick measurements and repeat feature is guaranteed with the tool.
Setting up the unit takes just a few minutes. It’s very simple to use and make changes to. Adjusting the wheel and locking the caliper is also made to be easy and quick. It’s a great caliper to get if you’re a beginner.
- Made to be used to measure cases and cartridges
- Quickset up process
- Easy to lock in place and adjust the wheel
- Can measure primer pocket depth
- Display might get dim after a while
Designed to measure cases and cartridges, this is the perfect caliper for reloading. Adjusting the wheels and setting up the device is simple and beginner-friendly.
Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper
If you want your caliper to last a long time, you need to store it properly.
Thankfully, the Frankford Arsenal caliper comes with its protective case.
It’s designed to store and keep your caliper safe from any kind of damage, ranging from dents to rust.
Made of hardened steel, the caliper will surely last you ages. This, combined with the case you get, makes the product almost impossible to break.
- ACCURACY: Accurate to within .001” when measuring case length, neck and base diameters, overall length and primer pocket depth with 0-6” measurement range and an SAE to Metric conversion
- VERSATILITY: Use for measurements on and off the reloading bench
- DURABLE: Constructed of hardened steel
A 0.001-inch accurate range makes this a great unit to measure cases with.
You could also use the device to measure base diameters, primer pocket depth, and neck measurements.
This too has the capability to measure any casing ranging from 0-6 inches. An
SAE to metric conversion makes taking measurements easier for you. No need to convert the units on your own.
Getting a caliper with so many features at such a price range is truly amazing. This budget-friendly option can be a great buy for beginners.
- Protective case keeps the unit safe from dents and rust
- Available at an affordable price
- accuracy rating
- A good tool for measuring the base diameter
- SAE to metric conversion available
- Does not hold at zero sometimes
The protective case that you get with the caliper is amazing at increasing the longevity of the measuring tool. Having an SAE to metric conversion system available at such a price range is quite rare.
Buying Guide of Best Digital Calipers for Reloading
When you are looking for a suitable caliper for yourself, you should consider the factors listed below. These are very crucial factors that will guide you to make the best purchase.
The depth rod is the part of the tool that allows the caliper to measure the depth of the cases for reloading. Most digital calipers come with this additional accessory, but digital calipers do not include a depth rod.
It is also true that you might be in a profession which does not require this accessory. But even if you don’t need it, it never hurts to get an additional accessory.
Calibrating Digital Calipers
For calibrating, you can go for two options. Some calipers come pre-calibrated, and there are also now which can be manually calibrated
For beginners, it is best to get the pre-calibrated ones. In that way, they can learn the work first without worrying about calibrating the caliper manually.
- Manual Calibration
The manual calibrating ones are mostly preferred by professionals who have been doing their work for years. Because they are experts, they know the tool well. They might want to manually adjust their caliper to customize the tool. However, manual calibrating digital calipers are not suggested for beginners.
The accuracy of ratting is a very crucial factor when it comes to calipers. Since the tool’s primary function is measuring, the accuracy rating tells us how much the caliper reading will differ from the actual reading. Usually, the accuracy ratings range from 0.1mm to 0.4mm.
Since you want your calculated reading to be as accurate as possible, so it is always best to get the ones with a 0.1mm rating. This means the reading will differ only by 0.1mm from the actual calculation. You should go for the higher rating ones like 0.2mm or 0.3mm. But make sure you know what you are buying before you buy it.
You don’t want to buy something and realize after the purchase that it was a bad decision. You want something which will help you be more efficient and make your life easier.
Caliper Accuracy Chart
When looking for calipers, make sure you look for the one that comes with the accuracy chart. The accuracy chart is a very crucial thing for a beginner. It will guide you and give you a better understanding of the accuracy of the caliper.
The screw lock is another factor that plays a big role in the measurement part of the caliber. The screw is what holds the objects you measure in place. You have to place the object you measure between the jaws of the caliber.
Then the screw lock keeps the jaws fixed and keeps the object from getting loose. So when you place an object and place it between the jaws to get the measurement is accurate.
If the screw lock is not up to the mark, it might not keep the jaws fixed and firm.
The I.P. rating defines the durability of the tool. Durability is very important especially because it is a tool that you don’t want to keep on repurchasing.
Calipers will go through rough usage. You will be using it when you are working in your factory or workshop. You might even need to carry the product with another tool in a toolkit.
If the tool is not durable, it might get damaged by some other heavy tool. If the I.P. rating is not up to the mark, it might even break when measuring some items. It is not that uncommon. Many caliper’s jaws break if the IP rating is not up to the mark.
The unit the caliper is showing the calculations in is very important for you to work properly. If the unit is not set correctly, then it might create confusion amongst users. Most digital calipers calculate in metric or imperial units. There are also the ones that can calculate in both units.
You can switch from one unit to another unit easily in those calipers. Those are the ideal calipers. However, you should be careful while making the switch because it might mess up the calculations. It might show an inaccurate reading after the units have been changed.
A tool should always be comfortable to use. It should be easy to maneuver and work with. In the case of the digital calipers, the length makes the product convenient for the user.
When the length is short, you get less place to hold it properly. That is why get something which of appropriate sized. Then you will be able to hold it comfortably without covering the screen with your hands.
As mentioned before, a tool should always be durable. That is why it is very important for the caliper to be weather resistant. You might keep it outdoors or in a garage where there will be rain, snow, or too much sunlight. An extra layer of protection will increase the longevity of the product.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best digital caliper for reloading?
The finest digital caliper for reloading is the Adoric Digital Caliper. It’s highly accurate, easy to operate, and also has a large LED screen with a visible font.
How does an electronic digital caliper work?
After locking the jaws in place, the rectangular plates misalign and align at the same time to get a proper grip on the object. The capacitance between these plates alters. The change sends signals to a chip which then shows the readings on the LED screen.
Who makes the best digital calipers?
Adoric makes the finest digital calipers. Their calipers are accurate, usually, come with batteries, and can measure any casing ranging from 0-6 inches with preciseness.
Are dial calipers more accurate than digital?
Although the preciseness is more or less the same, sometimes dial calipers ate more accurate than digital or Vernier ones. They have preciseness of 0.001 inches.
Which caliper brand is best?
Adoric is the brand to go for when buying calipers. They have been in the business for a while now and have rarely upset a customer.
How accurate do calipers need to be for reloading?
Accuracy of 0.001 inches will be the best for reloading.
The best digital caliper for reloading will help you get readings in a few seconds. These will be easy to use, set up, and have a very good accuracy rate.
All of the calipers that we have suggested contain features that make them worth your money. Choose anyone that fits your budget, and you too can get precise measurements for reloading.